Music Review of Jab Tak Hai Jaan
Music by A R Rahman
Lyrics by Gulzar
Directed by Yash Chopra
Overall Rating - Impressive
01. Challa track sung by Rabbi Shergill - (5/5) - Simple song made addictive through Punjabi accented lyrics, singing style. The beauty of Rahman's arrangement lies in Ranjit Barot's energetic, rhythmic drumming and Guitarist Keba Jeremiah along with Keith peters for Bass. The song is sounding like a duet between vocal and shadow like accompaniments.
02. Saans track sung by Shreya Ghoshal & Mohit Chauhan - (4/5) - Nice duet, two layered music and ably sung by Shreya and Mohit. I feel lot of fans would have preferred Udit over Mohit !!!
03. Ishq Shava track sung by Raghav Mathur & Shilpa Rao - (5/5) - I would love to call this as "template dhink chik song" but Rahman brings the surprise element in arrangement of interludes without altering the rhythm and the eventual change happens at the end ! I predict this track will be the biggest hit post release of the movie.
04. Heer track sung by Harshdeep Kaur - (5/5) - rhythemic punjabi lyrics, naturally sung and composed. Saans track makes a fusionable entry into second stanza interlude.
05. Jiya Re track sung by Neeti Mohan - (3.5/5) - Neeti Mohan rocks big time in this track and enters the bollywood item songs market convincingly. Guitar tones down the vocal on some places but the lyrics are a bit of let down.
06. Jab Tak Hai Jaan track sung by Javed Ali & Shakthisree Gopalan - (4/5) - starts off slowly and elegantly but passes through 3 different background beats in 3:53 minutes (Piano, synthesizer drumming & dhotak) !!! But some how, it falls in place and you end up wondering why you didnt like this track in first place.
07. Saans Reprise track sung by Shreya Ghoshal comes with slower tempo, pathos tone.
08. Ishq Dance Instrumental track - (5/5) - Quite interesting with thagara dubba-va pottu adingada finish :). I think, director's cue lies somewhere in this track.
09. Jab Tak Hai Jaan (The Poem track of Aditya Chopra) versed by Shahrukh Khan - (5/5) - SRK does full justice with his lovely voice. The music is awesome and elevates the mood... you have heard it in the trailer already!
I agree that expectations were high when Yash-ji, Gulzar-ji and Rahman combination was announced. Although the, final music is not comparable to the recent Rockstar or Delhi-6 in terms of creativity it nevertheless satisfies you. After all, the commercial stakes are quite high when you have Yash-ji & SRK as combo and music matches the tone of the movie.
My favourite track was Jab Tak Hai Jaan of Javed Ali & Shakthisree Gopalan as I was not expecting the title to be used in another track and some how it enters nicely into our ears. The funny part is reserved for Shakthisree ... when she sings "bemani bathon" ... as the "bemani" is little abusive word in Tamil ... she must have smiled, I guess !
Hentry Kuruvilla & T R Krishna Chetan
Panchathan Record Inn, Chennai: Suresh Permal, Srinidhi Venkatesh,
Hentry Kuruvilla, T.R.Krishna Chetan, Deepak PA, Jerry Vincent & R Nitish Kumar
Panchathan Hollywood Studio, Los Angeles: Tony Joy
AM Studios, Chennai: S.Sivakumar, Kannan Ganpat & Pradeep
YRF Studios, Mumbai: Shantanu Hudlikar, Abhishek Khandelwal & Sarit Chatterjee
Nirvana Studios, Mumbai: Abhinav Verma
Mixed By Shantanu Hudlikar, R Nitish Kumar & T R Krishna Chetan Mastered By Chris Ahtens at Chris Ahtens Masters
Challa Drums – Ranjit Barot
Percussions – Faizan Hussain & Nishad Chandra
Guitars – Keba Jeremiah
Bass Keith Peters
Saans Flute – Naveen Kumar
Ishq Shava Guitars – Joel Shearer Oud,
Mandolin, Saz – Tapas Roy
Jiya Re Guitars – Chandresh Kudwa
Bass – Keith Peters
Heer Guitars – Keba Jeremiah
Saans (Reprise) Percussions – Sanket Naik, Darshan Doshi, Arun Solanki
Jab Tak Hai Jaan Dhotak – T Raja, Y.P.Prasad, M Lakshmi Narayanan
Flute – Navin lyer, Kiran Kumar
Ishq dance Drums – Ranjit Barot
Percussions – Falzon Hussain Et Nishad Chandra
Nueman Pinto, Anusha Marti Vivienne Pocha, Crystal Sequeira Samantha Edwards, Francois Castellino Rishikesh Kamerkar, Rajiv Sundaresan Shweta Pandit
Kids Chorus Vocal Arrangement by “The Gleehive”
Conducted by Celeste Cordo
Chennai Strings Orchestra
Chennai Strings Conducted By V.J.Srinivasamurthy
Vocal Supervisors V.J.Srinivasamurthy, Srinivas Doraisami & Srinidhi Venkatesh
Music Co-ordinators Noel’ James, Vijay lyer
Hmm...tamil song ku review kuduthengana nalla irukum ...miew..anyways thanksReplyDelete
Thanks for the review.Crisp and clear post.ReplyDelete