Recession is looming large on us. So what will happen to entertainment? My take as follows:
- No issues for Middle class food joints – Be it McD, Pizza corner in USA or our own Saravana Bhavan, Woodlands or gangotri. After all, these places would become hot meeting places to discuss the future plan of action.
- Costly wine and dine restaurents – they are likely to face some 20 to 30% traffic slow down
- Low cost beer pubs – they are likely to survive the slow down as they also become hot meeting places
- Star based movies (like Ghajini, Rab Ne Banadi Jodi) and comedies would have strong possibility of survival than serious movies as people look out for strong entertainment than some "advice / sentiment" factors.
- So., multiplexes would face very different atmosphere – star based movies would have a bumper opening whereas normal movies would have very slow pick up – in contrast;
- Sports (around 3 hours duration) events are unlikely to face substantial slow down in audience participation – the effect would be marginal – around 15% or so;
- SPAs and Resorts might have to cut prices to lure more walk-ins than ever before.
- Sex might become a cheapest entertainment L